Our BAL Rated Doors comply with bushfire regulations across Australia.
BAL Rated Doors Description
BAL (Bushfire attack level) rated doors are doors specified for use in areas prone to bushfires. Their requirement became mandatory in high-risk areas following the horrendous bushfires in Victoria in 2009.
Our BAL doors comply with the standards outlined in AS3959-2009 across the full range of ratings from BAL-LOW to BAL-FZ. Our range of pressed metal door frames also complies with the requirements of the six different BAL ratings.
|Bushfire Attack Level (BAL)||Description of predicted bushfire attack and levels of exposure|
|BAL-LOW||There is insufficient risk to warrant specific construction requirements|
|BAL-19||Increasing levels of ember attack and burning debris ignited by windborne embers together with increasing heat flux between 12.5 and 19 kW m²|
|BAL-29||Increasing levels of ember attack and burning debris ignited by windborne embers together with increasing heat flux between 19 and 29 kW m²|
|BAL-40||Increasing levels of ember attack and burning debris ignited by windborne embers together with increasing heat flux with the increased likelihood of exposure to flames|
|BAL-FZ||Direct exposure to flames from fire front in addition to heat flux and ember attack|
Door leaves use hardwood timber strips to form a frame around a fire resistant vermiculite core. They are manufactured in accordance with AS1905 part 1, and are certified to AS1530 part 4 of the building code standards.
Our pre-hung BAL door systems can come with quality Kilargo door seals and perimeter seals.
Hotels, residential units, schools, public buildings, office blocks, hospitals, homes and shopping centres.
The standard finish on BAL rated doors is ply sheet. Other finishes available include MDF, Duracote, and veneer. Metal sheets with thicknesses up to 1.5mm can be used to increase durability and security.
BAL Rated Door Specifications
- Based on standard door configuration. Other sizes, finish, frame and hardware options are available.
- Size: Single – 2040mm high x 820mm wide x 36mm thick. MDF, Ply or Duracote can achieve BAL-Low, BAL-12.5, BAL-19, BAL-29, BAL-FZ. Steel cladding required for BAL-40.
- Double – 2040mm high x 820/820mm wide x 45mm thick.
- Design: Incorporates 10mm wide external hardwood edge strips to form a frame around the core in compliance with AS1530 part 4 and AS1905 part 1.
- Door finished thickness nominal, single 37mm, double 46mm.
- Steel Frame Rebate Size: Mini 40mm x 25mm and Maxi 50mm x 25mm
- Minimum hinge requirements: 3 Hinges
- Steel frame to be constructed from 1.5mm mid steel, fully welded with hinge backing plates
- Complies with AS3959-2009 & AS1905.1 & tested in accordance with AS 1530.4-2005 & AS1530.7-2007
- Standard Finish: Ply Sheet.
- Core: Vermiculite Sheet.
- Weight: 46mm leaf – 40KG. 38mm leaf – 32KG.
Door Leaf Diagram
With Kilargo HP2512BW or IS1212 or IS7025Si Perimeter Seal
With Kilargo IS8010Si Threshold Seal
To Specify Spartan BAL Rated Doors
Door shall be Spartan BAL (insert BAL rating) Door to AS3959-2009 and AS1905.1 and tested in accordance with AS 1530.4-2005 & AS1530.7-2007. 46mm or 38mm thick standard door leaf of vermiculite covered with ply sheet. Timber internal edge strip to surround core material. Kilargo perimeter and threshold seal installed.
Other hardware and seals can be fitted by Spartan Doors as required.
BAL Rated Doors Downloads
Here at Spartan Doors, we provide the highest quality BAL rated doors to help increase security at your home, office, or warehouse in Newcastle, Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane, Australia.